Everyone is buying camera cases lately, but why?. If you own a camera, you’ll know how important it is to handle the camera and gear carefully. Professional photographers who are mindful of the sensitivity of cameras do not play about their travel camera cases. Cameras are expensive devices made of very fragile specialized components that even the slightest bump may result in severe damage. Which ultimately leads to a reduction in image quality.
There are so many things people who own cameras consider when buying travel camera cases. Yes, people who own cameras. The general misconception is that travel camera cases are only meant for professional travel photographers. This a myth that needs to be dispelled as there are over 40 careers in photography, all of which require cameras to be stored in protective bags or cases when moving about. Even personal cameras need to be carefully handled on trips to prevent them from damaging and save owners the stress of visiting the repair shops.
It is important to note that when traveling you don’t need to carry every single piece of camera gear you own. Depending on the shoot, location, etc you might just be needing the essential gear like cameras, lenses, spare batteries, lens cleaners, and extra memory cards. These will fit into a small camera travel bag. In most cases, you might need to pack your drones, travel camera tripod, laptop, etc and for these, you haul out the bigger travel camera bags.
After the important gear needed for your trip has been stashed, if you still have some extra space for other personal items such as a passport, sunscreen, water bottle, sunglasses, jacket, raincoat, gloves, toiletries, and medications. Then you can carry those along too.
Types Of Camera Cases/Bags
- Shoulder bags
- Sling camera bags
- Rollable camera cases
- Holster bags
- Fashionable bags
- Totes camera bags
- Hard waterproof cases
- Waterproof camera bags
Things to consider before buying Travel Camera Cases
We’ll look at 5 of the best travel camera cases and bags to purchase this year. But before that, let’s evaluate a couple of things to watch out for when buying camera bags or cases.
- Seasonal travel camera cases or bags are recommended such as waterproof camera bags for traveling to locations during the rainy season. Getting weather-proof travel camera cases is ideal to prevent damage to your gear.
- Travel bloggers, content creators on the go, and lifestyle photographers all bank on durable camera cases and bags. The outer look of a camera case isn’t valued as much as its durability. And those seeking the best stylish camera bags for travel photography will need to consider this.
- The mode of transportation is another important factor to consider before investing in camera cases or bags. Flying by air may demand that you travel light, hence, this might present a limitation. If you own just one small camera case, and you need to pack heavy, you need to get hand luggage. One of the best travel camera bags for mirrorless cameras on a plane is a smaller bag. For a road trip, the best travel camera bag will be backpacks, shoulder, and messenger bags.
- Lastly, consider the different compartments and which bag or case is suited for the trip you’re about to make. The bag should comfortably fit in your gear and some other things. You can then choose to use the additional space for personal items.
Best Travel Camera Cases and Bags 2023
In no particular order, here are the 5 best picks for travel camera cases and bags to purchase in 2023.
Nanuk 935 Wheeled Hard Utility Case
A hunk of a box to you, but a cherished, travel wonder on wheels to any and every professional photographer. The Nanuk 935 Wheeled hard utility case is both durable and functional. The case comes with an insert and dividers that are both padded to enable a customized arrangement of all essential camera gear. As well as to secure it from moving or bumping together while traveling.
The forward-thinking manufacturers of this amazing camera case were thoughtful enough to add an organizer insert for the lid. Now, this is to provide even more storage for other smaller accessories you might want to carry along on your trip. The organizer insert comprises fortified transparent zippered pockets.
The overall case is made from very weightless and waterproof NK-7 polypropylene resin to shield fragile items such as cameras and lenses, laptops, tablets, drones, etc.
- 20.5 x 11.3 x 7.5″ Interior
- Crush, Dust, and Waterproof
- Padded Insert with Lid Organizer
- Dividers to Organize and Protect Gear
- Extendable Handle & Low-Profile Wheels
- Lightweight NK-7 Polypropylene Resin
- PowerClaw Latching System
- Automatic Pressure-Release Valve
- Molded-In Bezel System and Padlock Holes
- Comfortable Soft-Grip Handle
Pelican 1510TP Carry-On Case with TrekPak Divider System
One of the best hard and waterproof camera cases on the market is the Pelican 1510TP. This case is capable of carrying camera gear and all sorts of photography equipment that require protection from the elements.
The black Pelican 1510TP Carry-On Case with TrekPak Divider System claims to be an indestructible, impervious, hard case that is airtight, dustproof, chemical-resistant, and corrosion-proof. It is extremely strong and durable and comes with long side handles, a long front handle, a retractable extension handle, and strong polyurethane wheels with stainless steel bearings.
It equally has an effortless release latch for the extension handle, with a divider that’s lighter than traditional padded dividers. The TrekPak Divider System has in-built waterproof wall compartments, tear-resistant divider panels, locking pins, and a simple cutting tool.
Full features of Pelican 1510TP
- Watertight, Dustproof Case
- Made of Ultra-High Impact Copolymer
- Three-Piece Foam Set is Included
- ABS Double Throw Latches
- Built-In Purge Valve
- Front Large Folding Haul Handle
- Large Side Folding Haul Handles
- Retractable Extension Handle
- Polyurethane Wheels with SS Bearings
Pelican 1200 Case with Foam
For some, the Pelican 1510TP might be too large with its numerous space and compartments. Hence, we included the Pelican 1200 Case with Foam on this list. It’s a smaller camera case that is ideal for traveling light. Just like the Pelican 1510TP, it is a waterproof hard case that is resistant to air and chemicals. It is extremely strong and durable and comes with just a handle, and weighs less, with complex lid foam
Features of Pelican 1200 case
- Watertight, Dustproof Case
- Made of Ultra-High Impact Copolymer
- Three-piece Foam Set Interior
- Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve
- Easy Open Double Throw Latches
- Oversized Handle
Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L
The Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L travel camera bag is one very suitable camera bag for long or short-distance trips. It features a camera compartment with dividers, padded slots for laptops and tablets, as well as space for other accessories such as chargers, snacks, keys, IDs, and small clothing items. The bag’s foldable dividers can perfectly fit more than one camera body.
If you need the best travel camera bag for mirrorless cameras or the best DSLR camera bag for travel photography, then the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L is your lifesaver. It equally has side pockets that fit tripods or water bottles snugly, while the side flaps double as interior storage, to provide safe pouches for batteries, lenses, chargers, and SD cards.
Other additional cool features include dual side zippers to keep the camera within reach at all times. A weather resistance and waterproof bottom panel that also protect the camera gear when exposed to the elements. The Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L version is an even better option for more bulky items.
Here are the full features of the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L.
- Versatile, Size-Adjustable Backpack
- Adjustable Height from 18.3″ to 22.3″
- Top Flap with Magnetic Latch System
- Dual Side-Access Panels
- Foldable, Multi-Configuration Dividers
- Organizational Pockets
- 15″ Laptop and 12.9″ Tablet Pockets
- 2 Bottle Pockets/Tripod, Monopod Holders
- Anchor Link Key Tether
- 3 Exterior Handles, Weather Resistant
WANDRD PRVKE 21L Backpack
Techies, content creators, and professional photographers are in love with WANDRD products and it’s not hard to see why. WANDRD makes its products with the finest materials to stand the test of time. And what’s cool is the idea behind these creations. WANDRD designs these camera storages with travel photographers in mind. The backpack is available in 21L, 31L, and the PRVKE Lite, which is 11L. Although WANDRD products are expensive, they are guaranteed to give you value for your money.
The WANDRD PRVKE 21L Backpack is one of WANDRD’s awesome designs. It’s made with waterproof tarpaulin, weather-resistant zippers, and impervious fabrics such as nylon. The backpack equally comes with numerous pockets for easy organization of camera gear. It’s easy to get your camera and lens out without removing the backpack from your shoulder. Other features include a key clip and a passport pocket.
Features of WANDRD PRVKE 21L
- Camera Cube, Back, and Accessory Straps
- Holds a Camera Body and 4 Lenses
- Moderate 21L Capacity
- Laptop/Tablet & Tech Pocket
- Expandable Rolltop Closure
- Magnetic Tote Handles
- Quick Draw Side Access
- Hidden Passport Pocket
- Side Pocket for Water Bottle / Tripod
- Water-Resistant Tarpaulin & Nylon
That’s it for our pick of the best travel camera cases and bags for camera owners in 2023. Check out the list of expensive DSLR cameras in the market for pro photography.