On September 8, 2022, Apple unveiled the new iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus. A next generation smart device with the A15 Bionic chipset, emergency satellite SOS, crash detection, all integrated with iOS 16.
The 6.1″ inch screen and a 6.7” inch larger screen display allows for HDR content. Apple’s iPhone 14 and 14 Plus are available in midnight, blue, starlight, purple and red. Also in 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage capacities. The US models of the iPhone also comes with an eSIM, meaning there is no physical SIM tray.
In the meantime, the tech community is abuzz with the special features and availability dates of the high-end devices across the world. Technophiles worldwide are already pre-ordering iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus. Find out the specifications and features below.
iPhone 14 Emergency SOS Feature
The new safety feature called emergency SOS via satellite is a feature that Apple introduced on both recently unveiled iPhone 14 models. The feature claims to get one in touch with emergency services in areas where there’s no reception.
In dire situations when you’re out of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage, you can send messages via satellites to get the help you need.
How To Use The Emergency SOS Via Satellite Feature
Firstly, to access the emergency SOS feature, an iPhone 14 model is required, alongside an iOS 16 software update.
Secondly, try calling emergency services. Another prerequisite to use emergency SOS via satellite is no cellular and Wi-Fi coverage. There has to be an actual disturbance in network connection before utilising the emergency feature. Once the above mentioned details are covered, proceed to;
- Tap Emergency Text via Satellite.
- Tap Report Emergency.
- Answer the necessary emergency questions to provide details about your situation.
- You can also choose to notify your emergency contacts regarding the nature of your emergency.
- Then follow the onscreen instructions to connect to a satellite.
- While connection is successfully, be sure to keep following the onscreen instructions so the message can deliver.
Note that once connected to an emergency service, iPhone 14 starts a text conversation with emergency responders. It goes as far as sharing critical information like your Medical ID and emergency contact information (that’s if you’ve previously set up one). The nature of the emergency, your location and remaining battery life of the iPhone will also get to the emergency services.
Which Location Is Emergency SOS via satellite available?
Apple’s emergency satellite feature is only available in the US and Canada as at the launch of the iPhone. This includes Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands, but not Guam or American Samoa. The feature is equally unavailable on iPhone models that you acquire in China mainland, Hong Kong, or Macao.
iPhone 14 / iPhone 14 Plus Features And Specifications
- Announced: September 7, 2022
- Weight: 203 grams
- Display: Super Retina XDR display
- OS: iOS 16
- Chipset: Apple A16 Bionic (4 nm)
- Internal: 128GB 6GB RAM, 256GB 6GB RAM, 512GB 6GB RAM, 1TB 6GB RAM NVMe
- Camera: Dual-camera system with HDR features
- Sim Card: Dual eSIM support
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Cellular & Wireless Network: 5G (sub‑6 GHz and mmWave), Gigabit LTE, Ultra Wideband
- Safety: Emergency SOS via satellite, crash detection
- Splash, water, and dust resistant